|Photos:||Museum of Fine Arts|
|Plaza del Museo with statue of Murillo|
|Murillo painting: La Virgen de la Servilleta|
The Fine Arts Museum of Seville since 1839, located in the former convent of the Merced Calzada
Plaza del Museo.
Construction works of the convent started in 1602. It is an example of Andalusian mannerism of the 17th century, designed around three Patios and a large stairway.
The Fine Arts museum of Seville was founded as a Museum of Paintings in 1835. It opened its doors to the public in 1841 with the works from closed down convents and monasteries. Today it is one of the best museums of fine arts in Spain.
The museum's impressive collection of Spanish art extends from the medieval to the modern, focusing on the work of Seville School artists such as Francisco de Zurbarán, Juan de Valdés Leal and Bartolomé Esteban Murillo.
Some more paintings of the Sevillian school, and, this time in their original setting, are on display in the (13) Hospital de la Caridad.