|Photos:||Plaza de España|
|Jardín de los Leones|
|Isleta de los Patos|
Major parts of the grounds of María Luisa park were donated in 1893 to the city of Seville
by the Dutchess of Montpensier to be used as a public park.
Beginning in 1911, the French gardener Jean-Claude Forestier remodeled the already existing gardens into their actual shapes.
In 1914, the Spanish architect Aníbal Gonzalez started with the construction works for the Ibero-American Exposition of 1929, which partly took place inside María Luisa park. The new buildings of the Plaza de España were used as the office of the fair.
The semicircular square of the Plaza de España, has an artificial lake in its center and is flanked by two towers. Gonzalez chose bricks as the main material to be used, in combination with tiles and marble columns. The building's style today is called Sevillian Regionalism.
María Luisa park is Seville's principal green area. See the Jardín de los Leones and the Isleta de los Patos.
On the main square of the 1929 fair, the Plaza de America, where the Pavilion of Fine Arts was located, serves today as the (10) Archaeological Museum of Seville.