(16) Town Hall
Plaza Nueva, Sevilla.
  95 459 01 01.
  Tue-Thu 17:30-18:30; Sat 11:30-12:30.
  No Admission charge.
Photos:    View from Plaza Nueva
 View from Plaza San Francisco
 Interior
 Meeting Room

The Town Hall (Ayuntamiento) of Seville was built in the 16th century in Renaissance style on the remains of the former San Francisco monastery. The construction works were started by architect Diego de Riaño in 1527, who at the same time also added new parts to the Cathedral of Seville.

Originally, the main entrance to the Town Hall was on  Plaza de San Francisco. On the very left of the ornate Renaissance Plateresque style fašade, you can still see the remains of the carriage yard of the former monastery.

With the construction of the  Plaza Nueva (New Square) in the 19th century, the entrance moved to the latter. This west front is part of a Neo-Classical extension built in 1891. Remains of the old wall are still visible from  Inside the building.

Visit richly decorated  Meeting Rooms of Seville┤s city council.

On to visit (17) Macarena church in the Macarena quarter of Seville.

Back   Next


Main PageApartmentsHotelsActivitiesMonumentsEat & DrinkSevilla InfoCity Map |